Congratulations to the University of Medan Area (UMA) for Achieving the Greenmetric World University Rankings at the national level, ranked 17th and the international ranking 230 previously ranked 330 and at the North Sumatra College level, Medan Area University was ranked 2. Medan Area University is the only private university that Obtained Greenmetric Rankings.
Medan Area University (UMA) has a high commitment in managing the campus environment to become an environmentally friendly campus. Medan Area University is the only private university in North Sumatra that has a conservation forests. Besides that, UMA has received the Bestari campus certificate and the UI GreenMetric certificate, this shows that UMA has a high awareness of environmental management.
To realize steps as a green campus, and also as a pilot for an environmentally friendly campus, UMA has implemented various concrete actions. One of them is saving energy in the form of replacing electric lamps with LED lights, utilizing rainwater to become ready-to-drink RO water, transportation using electric power, processing B1 B2 and B3 waste, processing waste into organic compost, aromatic briquettes, etc.
UI GreenMetric is one of the programs that assess the University based on the University’s commitment and actions towards greening and environmental sustainability.
The indications for UI GreenMetric’s assessment are:
1. Land and Infrastructure Management, information on land management and University infrastructure will provide basic information regarding the University’s considerations towards a green environment
2. Energy and Climate Change, the University’s attention to the problem of energy use and climate change is an indicator given a high percentage.
3. Garbage, waste treatment activities, and waste recycling have big factors in a green environment.
4. Water, an indicator of water use at the University aims to enable the University to reduce water use, add water conservation programs, and so on.
5. Transportation, the transportation indicator assesses the University’s regulations relating to transportation, such as restrictions on motorized vehicles, the use of buses and bicycles in the University to encourage a healthier environment.
6. Education, this indicator focuses more on the various efforts of the University in creating a new generation that is more concerned with environmental sustainability.