Congratulations to University of Medan Area (UMA) for achieving the award as the 17th most sustainable University in Indonesia and 303rd at international level. UMA also got the second position at North Sumatera Higher Education Level with the score of 5425 right after University of Sumatera Utara in the first position with the score of 5800, and followed by State University of Medan in the third position with the score of 4650 from the total of 6 criteria and indicators assessment of 2019 UI GreenMetric World University Rangkings. UMA is the only private university getting GreenMetric Ranking in North Sumatera.
University of Medan Area (UMA) has a high commitment in managing the campus environment to be an eco-friendly campus. It is also the only private university in North Sumatra that has a conservation forest. Besides that, UMA has obtained the Bestari campus certificate and UI GreenMetric certificate which shows that UMA has a high awareness in environmental management.
To realize the goal as a green campus, and also as a model of an eco-friendly campus, UMA has implemented a variety of concrete actions. One of them is saving energy in the form of replacing electric lights with LED lights, utilizing rainwater into RO (ready to drink) water, using transportation with electricity, B1 B2 and B3 waste treatment, processing waste into organic compost fertilizer, etc.
UI GreenMetric is a program that assesses the university based on its commitment and actions towards greening and environmental sustainability.
The criteria and indicators for UI GreenMetric assessment are:
- Setting and Infrastructure (SI); it gives the basic information of the university policy towards green environment.
- Energy and Climate Change (EC); it is the university’s attention to the use of energy and climate change issues takes the highest weighting in this ranking.
- Waste (WS); it is the programs of university
- in managing waste produced by campus to create a sustainable environment.
- Water (WR); it aims to make the university decrease water usage, increase conservation program, and protect the habitat.
- Transportation (TR); it plays an important role on the carbon emission and pollutant level in university, such as transportation policy to limit the number of motor vehicles in campus, the use of campus bus and bicycle, the pedestrian policy to encourage students and staff to walk around campus and avoid using private vehicle
- Education and Research (ED)
It is based on the thought that university has an important role in creating the new generation concern with sustainability issues.